Lending: Honors and Graduate Students
- Policy Statement: The library provides borrowing
privileges for library print materials to all students of
- Rationale: Library borrowing privileges are critical
to the mission of the library and the university.
- A patron record for each student is automatically loaded
into the library’s Circulation module. As with all records
automatically loaded, it does not include the patron barcode
number. All University undergraduates are issued an official
KU ID card at freshman orientation to use as their library
card. Graduate students who do not have a KU ID card may get
a library card at the Information Commons counter.
- Students need to present their library card when
- Students are responsible for returning items in the same
condition in which they were borrowed. If a print item is
damaged, the students will be asked to replace the item or
pay the appropriate fee.
- Students in the Honors Program are initially listed in
Voyager as the Undergraduate patron group. They must be
changed manually to the Honors patron group, and the
Undergraduate Patron Group entry deleted. The Honors Program
Office will provide the Access Services Librarian each Fall
with a current list of all students in the Honors program.
The Access Services Department will be responsible for
changing the patron group on each record.
- Loan Period: 120 days for Main Collection books.
Curriculum Materials kits and textbooks circulate for 1 week
with one 1-week renewal.
- Renewals: One.
- Holds & Recalls: Can be placed on print materials
by contacting the Information Commons Counter.
- Maximum Number of Items at one time: 75
- Overdue Fines: None. If items are not returned
thirty days after the Due Date, students receive a notice
that their records have been sealed until the items are
returned. If a student’s records are sealed, they cannot
register, receive grades, receive transcripts, or get their
diplomas. When all the items are returned the records are
- Fees for lost items: Standard fee for type of
item borrowed; no processing fee; borrowing privileges
suspended indefinitely when the patron owes fees for 10 lost
items. Items that have been declared “Lost” in the
circulation system need to be returned to the library and
discharged. The items may then be charged out to the patron
again if asked.
- Audiovisual materials: Students may borrow media and audiovisual materials. Contact the Information Commons desk (610-683-4800) with requests, questions, or concerns.
- Interlibrary loan: Students can have up to 15
interlibrary loan books out at once.
Approved by the Dean of Library Services
Page updated 12 November 2013