Residence Hall and Dietary Accommodations

Residence Hall Accommodations

Residence Hall accommodations are provided for students with a variety of disabilities in order to provide equal access to campus housing facilities. Under the ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), it is the responsibility of the student to request accommodations and provide documentation of a disability that has a significant impact on the student's ability to access and use on-campus housing facilities. This documentation must demonstrate that this accommodation is a medical necessity in order to have equal access to housing facilities. All requests for housing accommodations must be submitted to the Disability Services Office. Click here for Information on Requesting Accommodations

Requests for housing accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis according to documented need and prevailing standards for reasonable accommodations. If there is sufficient documentation to determine medical necessity, a referral for the accommodation(s) will be sent to the Housing Office. Requests for housing accommodations should be made as soon as the Advanced Registration Deposit (ARD) has been paid to ensure accommodations are in place for the start of the semester. 

Please Note: Being approved for a  housing accommodation does not guarantee that you will be placed in your first-choice residential hall or with your preferred roommates/friends. The Disability Services Office (DSO) makes determinations regarding functional accommodations in housing to ensure equal access, and is not involved in the process of assigning a student's specific room or specific roommates/suitemates. The process of assigning specific rooms and roommates/suitemates is managed by Housing and Dining Services; questions regarding a student's specific room or specific roommates/suitemates should be directed to the Office of Housing and Dining Services at or 610-683-4027.

Service Animals living in Residence Halls

Students who reside on-campus and who use a service animal (i.e. trained service dog) must notify the Disability Services Office ( prior to bringing the animal into the residence hall.  Click here for more information.

Requests for Exception to the Residency Requirement Due to Disability

Kutztown University has established a policy that full-time undergraduate students with less than 60 earned credits who are not veterans, married, or living with parents or legal guardians with a zip code within a 30-mile radius of Kutztown, are required to live in a university-operated residence hall. 

All requests for exceptions to the residency requirement due to disability must be submitted to the DSO following the process for requesting accommodations. Click here for Information on Requesting Accommodations. Documentation of your disability must describe functional limitations resulting from the disability or disabilities, as well as the current impact on daily living activities including living on-campus. Additionally, you need to complete and submit the Residency Exception Request Form found on MyKUHousing.

The DSO will forward justified requests to Residential Life, Housing, and Dining Services. 

Dietary Accommodations

Kutztown University Dining Services offers a variety of foods that promote healthy lifestyles. Recognizing that some students may have food allergies, Dining Services makes every effort to accommodate individual dietary needs. 

  • In South Dining Hall an allergen solution serving station, True Balance, prepares and serves foods that eliminate seven of the most common food allergens including milk, eggs, gluten, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, soy, and wheat.
  • In all Dining Service locations across campus, nutritional information about foods being served is posted. Foods containing common allergens, such as nuts, will have additional signage.
  • You may request a consultation with a dietitian to discuss any dietary restrictions and to help develop a safe plan for utilizing on-campus dining services.

Requests for dietary accommodations (special diet) must be submitted to the  DSO following the process for requesting accommodations. Click here for Information on Requesting Accommodations. If the accommodation request is approved by the DSO, a referral will be sent to the Residential Life, Housing, and Dining Services Office. 

Please note:  Students living in campus residence halls, with the exception of Golden Bear Village (apartment style housing with in-unit kitchens), have a contractual/mandatory meal plan.