Exchange Student Next Steps

Now that you have been accepted to Kutztown University as an exchange student, you can follow the next steps to become a Golden Bear.

  • Pay the Advanced Registration Deposit

    Pay your non-refundable $300 Advanced Registration Deposit (ARD) as soon as possible to confirm your enrollment in the upcoming semester. 

    You can pay the ARD online using the following options:

    1) Pay with the currency of your home country using Flywire

    2) Pay with U.S. dollars using a credit card through your application poral. Refer to the instructions in your acceptance letter.

    Please note: a 2.75% fee will be assessed for U.S. credit card payments and a 4.25% fee will be assessed for international credit card payments.

    Questions about paying the ARD should be directed to the Office of Student Accounts at +1 610-683-4133 or

  • Check KU Email

    Your KU student email account will be created 24 hours after KU receives your Advanced Registration Deposit. It is the only email that the campus offices will use to communicate with you about housing, billing, and other important information. Access your student email account by clicking the Yellow K YOU button and then Email icon. Your login will be the user ID and password you received by email. 

    If you have any difficulty signing into your email account, contact Information Technology at +1 610-683-1511 or

  • Login to Your Student Portal

    All admitted students are assigned a Student Portal. Instructions on how to log in are sent via email.

  • Complete Housing & Meal Plan Selection Process

    All exchange students are encouraged to live on-campus and have a meal plan. The international office will email you a housing and meal plan selection form once you submit your deposit. We recommend returning this form as soon as possible since housing will be assigned on an as available basis.

    Questions about housing and dining should be directed to the Housing, Residence Life and Dining Services Office: +1 610-683-4027,

  • Submit DS-2019 Request

    International exchange students who require a J1 visa to study in the United States must submit a DS-2019 request form, the required financial documents, and a copy of their passport before we can issue your DS-2019. The international office will email you the DS-2019 request form after you submit your deposit.

  • Apply for J-1 Visa

    Visa application requirements vary by country, so you should go to to find the U.S. Embassy or Consulate nearest to you and research the specific requirements.

    Visit the SEVIS website and review KU’s Student Visa Requirements webpage for more information.

  • Select Classes

    The international office will email you when it is time to select your classes. We will send students a link to search for available classes through your student portal. You should consult with your home institution to pick classes that will fulfill your degree requirements. Once we have your preferred list of classes we will enroll you in those classes based on availability.

  • Submit Health Forms

    You will need to provide completed health forms & proof of certain immunizations and health tests prior to your arrival at KU. Watch for an email with information about completing the Health and Wellness Center's requirements. These requirements should be completed and submitted for approval at least two weeks prior to your arrival.

    For questions about the health forms, please contact Health and Wellness Services at +1 610-683-4082, Option 2, or email

  • Submit Proof of Health Insurance Enrollment

    International students at Kutztown University are required to carry adequate health insurance in the United States to be effective for all periods of time the student has been authorized to be in the United States by an immigration document issued by the University.

    Healthcare is expensive in the United States, and international students are responsible for any costs associated with their physical or mental health. Please note that most health insurance in the U.S. does not cover all medical benefits like prescriptions, dental, and vision.

    Health insurance policies must be purchased through a company that sells insurance in the United States. The insurance requirements set forth by the Department of State are as follows:

    • Medical Benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
    • Repatriation of Remains in the amount of $25,000
    • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
    • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness

    If you are an exchange student holding a J-1 visa, you must purchase an insurance plan that meets these requirements.

    If you are a degree seeking student holding an F-1 visa, we strongly recommend you follow these requirements when purchasing your insurance.

    Companies to Consider:

    Important Note: The above plans are only recommendations. Kutztown University does not have an official affiliation with any insurance company and these websites are provided as a sample of options available to international students. Please be sure you are reading the Policy Details in full to understand each coverage option.

    Athletic Coverage

    International student athletes and students participating in intramural or club sports must have an insurance policy that covers athletics. Athletic coverage is not included in all plans and not all sports are covered under all plans, so be sure to choose a plan with the appropriate level of coverage for your particular sport.  NCAA athletes should check with the athletics department to be sure they have sufficient coverage.

  • Review New International Student Orientation Information

    All exchange students are required to attend a mandatory orientation program. Orientation is scheduled the week before classes begin. 

    The tentative orientation schedule will be posted on our website when it becomes available. 

    Please contact the Office of International Admissions & Services if you have questions about orientation.

  • Confirm Travel Plans

    Please do not make any non-refundable travel plans until you receive your J-1 visa. As soon as you confirm your travel plans, please email the information to the Office of International Admissions and Services.

    Please follow these directions to travel from the airport to Kutztown University. 

  • What to Bring to Campus

    You may travel a great distance to get to KU and the U.S. and you might not want to travel with everything you will need at KU. The Office of International Admissions & Services provides several options for you to get the things you will need. You can bring items in your luggage, ship items to the Office of International Admissions & Services before you arrive, or purchase items on the shopping trip planned during orientation.  

    Find more information on what to bring. 

  • Plan Payment

    While exchanges students pay tuition to their home institution, you will still have a bill for housing and meal plans through Kutztown University.

    Invoices are sent to the KU student email account in mid-July for fall and mid-December for spring. Payments are due around August 1 for fall and January 2 for spring. You will receive an invoice once your housing and meal plan have been assigned to you. Check your email and pay your bill on time.

    You can pay your KU bill using the currency of your home country through Flywire. For specific payment options and instructions, visit the Office of Student Accounts website.

    You can also view your invoice and pay by credit card or an electronic check from a U.S. bank in your student portal. You can pay by cash or check in person at the Office of Student Accounts.

    Questions about paying the bill should be directed to the Office of Student Accounts at +1 610-683-4133 or