International Transfer & Second Degree Admissions Requirements

Transfer students are students who enrolled in college/university courses after completing secondary school but have not earned a Bachelor's degree. Second degree students are those who have earned a Bachelor's degree and wish to pursue another Bachelor's degree.

Please review the required application documents for international transfer students below. Here are some helpful links: 

  • Transfer Credit Evaluation Tool: Find out if any courses from your college/university have been evaluated for transfer credit at Kutztown University. 
  • Special Requirements: Some programs have special admissions requirements for transfer students. Review the academic program website to learn about the requirements, if any.

Out Transfer Admissions page also has additional tools to help transfer students. 

  • Application

    Apply and pay the $35 application fee.

    Common Application

    Kutztown University Undergraduate Application

  • English Proficiency

    The language of instruction at Kutztown University is English and as such, all students must provide evidence that they have achieved a high enough level of proficiency in the English language to be successful in their courses. You may prove English proficiency in one of the following ways:

    1) Examination Results

    Submit results from an English proficiency examination. Scores must be less than two years old and sent to KU directly through the examining authority. 

    IELTS: 6.5 Overall Score

    TOEFL: 79 internet-based test

    PTE: 53 Overall Score

    Duolingo English Test: 110 Overall Score

    SAT: Evidence-Based Reading and Writing score of 560 (KU School Code 2653)

    ACT: 21 English/Writing Score (KU School Code 3706)

    2) Waiver

    You will receive a waiver of this requirement if you are from one of the following countries:

    Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Botswana, British Virgin Island, Brunei, Canada (except Quebec), Cayman Islands, Dominica, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), Fiji, Gambia, Ghana, Gibraltar, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Mauritius, Montserrat, New Zealand, Nigeria, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Samoa (Western), Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Soloman Islands, South Africa, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Tuvalu, Uganda, United Kingdom, Vanuatu, Vatican City, Virgin Islands, Zambia, Zimbabwe

    3) Study at a U.S. College/University

    We will waive the English language requirement if you studied at a U.S. college or university for at least one academic year, earned at least 24 college-level semester credits (or 36 quarter credits) and have completed the equivalent of CMP 100, Effective Composition, with a grade of C or higher.

  • College/University Transcripts

    Submit official college/university transcripts/academic records from all universities you attended.

    College and university records from non-U.S. institutions must be translated to U.S. educational equivalency by a NACES recognized evaluation company. Translation is at the student's expense and you must provide a course-by-course evaluation. Evaluations should be sent to the Office of Admissions directly by the evaluation company. 

    Preferred Partners:

    • IEEthis is a custom link for Kutztown applicants to make sure you are selecting the correct application type and provides a discounted rate with three-day processing time. 
    • SpanTran - this is a custom link for Kutztown applicants to make sure you are selecting the correct application type and provides a discounted rate. 
    • World Education Services - Be sure to ask for a course-by-course evaluation and select Kutztown University as the receiving institution. 
  • Secondary School Records

    Although it will not be used to review your application for admission, you will be required to submit an official final secondary school certificate unless you meet one of the following requirements:

    1) You have earned the equivalent of a U.S. associate's degree or;

    2) You have earned the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's or higher degree or;

    3) You have earned 30 or more college-level semester credits (or 45 quarter credits).

    If the certificate is not in English, you must provide a word-for-word English translation of the transcript. We will consider waiving this requirement for students who have earned post-secondary certificates and diplomas on an individual basis.

  • Portfolio/Audition

    If you apply to the Applied Digital Arts, Art Education, Communication Design, or Studio Art major, you must submit a portfolio via SlideRoom. (Portfolios are also accepted at Open House and Portfolio Review Events.)

    If you apply to the Commercial Music, Music, Music Education, or Music Performance major, you must schedule an audition or arrange a virtual audition.