What to bring to campus

Review items you should bring to campus, plan to purchase when you arrive, and things you should leave at home.

You may travel a great distance to get to KU and the U.S. and you might not want to travel with everything you will need at KU. The Office of International Admissions & Services provides several options for you to get the things you will need. You can bring items in your luggage, ship items to the Office of International Admissions & Services before you arrive, or purchase items on the shopping trip planned during orientation.  

KU residence halls have a bed, desk, chair, and closet for every student. You must bring or purchase school supplies and any other items you want for your residence hall room.

Items to bring from home

Travel Documents: Passport, Visa, I-20 or DS-2019, SEVIS I-901 Fee Confirmation of Payment, Financial Documents, KU Acceptance Letter

Official Health Records: official documentation of vaccines with a physician’s signature, proof of health insurance

Laptop: If you have your own laptop, you can bring it and use it on campus. There is wired internet access in the residence hall rooms and wireless access in the lounges and campus buildings. You are not required to bring your own computer; there are many computer labs with printers on campus for you to use and some are available 24 hours a day.

Outlet and Plug Converter: Purchase an electrical outlet and plug converter for the U.S. from your home country to use with any electric device you bring. The U.S. operates on 120 V and has type A and type B electrical plugs.

Credit Card and U.S. Currency: Plan to have multiple ways to access your money. Bring a credit card in case you have to quickly pay any fees at the Port of Entry or encounter other unexpected expenses. We also recommend that you travel with at least $100 of U.S. currency to use in places where credit cards are not accepted.

Medical and Personal Items: Bring any medications you use every day, glasses, and/or contact lenses. Also consider bringing any medication you would take to relieve pain or a minor cold or illness, in case you happen to get sick before the first week of class when the Health and Wellness Center is open regularly.

International Driver’s License: If you plan to drive a car while in the U.S., you should get an international driver’s license in your home country prior to travelling to KU. International driver’s licenses are valid for one year. You may apply for a Pennsylvania State Driver’s License after you arrive if you will study at KU for at least one year.

If you would like to ship items to KU before you arrive, please let the Office of International Admissions & Services know. You may send items to the below address:

SHIPPING ADDRESS (please label all boxes with your full name):
Kutztown University
Office of International Admissions & Services
Kemp Building
454 Normal Avenue
Kutztown, PA 19530

You will be responsible for traveling with the proper documents and should consider bringing a few other items from home. Visit the Housing & Residence Life Office website to find additional information on what to bring to campus, as well as a list of prohibited items.