Transfer Student FAQs

Application Questions:
  • Q: Are SAT or ACT scores required for transfer students?

    A: Kutztown University currently is a test-optional school and does not require SAT or ACT scores with an application. Transfer students who have completed 12 or more credits at the 100-level or higher are not required to provide SAT or ACT scores.

  • Q: Do I need to send my high school transcript?

    A: If you are earning an Associate’s Degree, you do not need to send your high school transcript for the admissions review process. You will need to submit your high school transcript with proof of graduation if you are not earning an Associate’s Degree. Proof of graduation is required for financial aid purposes. Please have all official transcripts sent to

Credit Evaluation:
  • Q: Does a “D” grade transfer?

    A: All college-level credits from institutions recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation will be accepted as transfer credits.  This includes D grades.  Certain courses may need to be repeated in order to meet major requirements for graduation. Be sure to work with your academic advisor and the Registrar’s Office for degree requirements and progress.

  • Q: Does my GPA transfer? No

    A: Your courses and credits from previous institutions may transfer, but your GPA will not. The grades obtained only from courses completed at KU will determine your GPA at KU.

  • Q: What is the maximum number of credits that I can transfer?

    A: Kutztown University does not set a limit on how many credits may transfer. Keep in mind that all students must complete a minimum of 120 credits total to earn a Bachelor’s Degree. Students must complete at least 30 of the final 60 credits at KU and 50% of their major/minor courses must be taken at KU. Be sure to work with your Academic Advisor and the Registrar’s Office for degree requirements and progress.

  • Q: Will all of my courses transfer to Kutztown University?

    A: For the most part, all college-level courses taken at a regionally accredited institution that are passed with a “C-“ or higher are transferrable. You can also check out the Transfer Credit Evaluation ( to see if the courses you’ve taken will be transferrable to KU.

    Please Note: If your school or course is not listed, our Registrar’s Office will determine transferability following your acceptance to KU.

Degree progress:
  • Q: How do I obtain my General Education (Gen Ed) waiver?

    A: The Admissions Office needs a copy of your final official transcript showing that you completed an Associate’s Degree. Please have all official transcripts sent to this documentation, you are also eligible for the Transfer Housing and Book awards.

  • Q: Can I earn my Bachelor’s Degree in two years after completing my Associate’s Degree?

    A. After completing an Associate’s Degree, many students who are enrolled full-time can plan on completing a Bachelor’s Degree in two years. It would be beneficial to be enrolled in a similar major degree program for the Associate’s Degree and Bachelor’s Degree. Students would need to work closely with an academic advisor. Students must complete and pass all prerequisite, major, and degree elective courses. Certain degree programs could require additional coursework.

  • Q: Can I view copies of degree plans/ program check sheets for majors at KU?

    A: You can access a listing of our Academic Majors ( where you explore the degree requirements and academic planners of our many majors and minors available. Be sure to review the current version of our check sheets by selecting the document with a green checkmark next to it.

  • Q: Will any of my transfer credits apply to my major?

    A: The academic department of your intended major will determine how your transferrable credits will apply to your degree program. This can be clarified at our orientation experience and reviewed again every time you met with your assigned Academic Advisor.

  • Q: I have been out of school for 10 or more years. Do I have to start over again?

    A: After receiving all official transcripts, courses will be evaluated by the Registrar’s Office. The Registrar's Office determines the acceptability of these credits following acceptance to KU. Courses completed 10 or more years prior to continuing a degree, or starting a new degree, might not count towards requirements for graduation. For transfer students, these courses might not transfer. Such courses may no longer be required for the degree or updated in content. Be sure to work with your academic advisor and the Registrar’s Office for degree requirements and progress.

Next Steps After Depositing…
  • Q: Can transfer students live on campus?

    A: Transfer students do have the ability to live on campus. Housing options can be found here (

  • Q: When will I be given a schedule?

    A: After you pay your Advanced Registration Deposit, you will register for the Transfer Student Orientation. As part of your orientation experience, you will obtain your first KU schedule. Each academic department handles this differently. Be sure to keep an eye on your KU Student email for updates. Any questions can be asked to the New Student Orientation team at

  • Q: When will I be assigned my advisor?

    A: On your first day of classes at Kutztown University, you will be assigned an advisor within your major department. This is visible in your MyKU student portal once assigned.