CPS counselors provide emergency mental health services directly to students during the academic year. Counselors are also available to receive referrals about students in crisis from faculty, staff, and others who are concerned about the welfare of a Kutztown University student.
- Students who are experiencing a psychological emergency during normal office hours (M-F 8:00 am - 4:00 pm) can call or come to CPS without an appointment. You will be evaluated by a counselor as soon as possible.
- All students are eligible for crisis services and should call CPS and request to be evaluated as soon as possible if they are experiencing a mental health emergency or are concerned about their own safety or the safety of someone else.
- Students who are on a wait-list for initial consultation or counseling and/or those who have been referred for off-campus mental health services are eligible for and encouraged to use CPS crisis intervention services.
- After 4:00 p.m. and on weekends, requests for emergency psychological services by individuals who are on campus can be made by contacting the
Departmentof Public Safety at 610-683-4001.
- 24-hour crisis services are also available through Holcolmb Crisis Intervention of Berks County at 610-379-2007 or Lehigh County Crisis Intervention at 610-782-3127.
- Emergency Services are also available through the emergency rooms of local hospitals.
- Please DO NOT use email or voicemail to communicate with CPS in the event of an emergency. If you or someone you know is in crisis, please call or come
intothe appropriate office in person so that you can receive help immediately.
How to Access Crisis Intervention Services:
If you or a KU student you are concerned about is experiencing a life-threatening mental health emergency and need to talk to someone immediately, please call CPS during business hours (Monday – Friday from 8:00 to 12:00 noon and 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm) at 610-683-4072. Although the office closes from 12 noon to 1:00 pm, a counselor can be reached by calling Public Safety (610-683-4072).
Students who are in crisis may also come to the CPS office (122 Beck Hall) when it is open. If you are requesting an in-person emergency appointment between 12 noon to 1:00 pm, please ask Health Administration staff (located at the main entrance of the Health & Wellness Center) to connect you to a counselor.
When CPS is closed, please contact Public Safety (610-683-4001) or Holcolmb Crisis Intervention of Berks County at 610-379-2007. Students residing outside of Berks County can consult this list of crisis numbers or call 911.
What should I do if I am concerned about a KU student who may be in crisis?
Please note that if you are a faculty member, staff member, or other individual who is concerned about the safety of a student, you may call CPS (610-683-4072) and arrange to speak with a counselor between 8:00 am and 12:00 noon, or from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm M-F to discuss your concerns. Calls should be directed to Public Safety (610-236-0530) between noon and 1:00 pm, as the office will be closed.
When CPS is closed, please call Public Safety (610-683-4001) or Holcolmb Crisis Intervention of Berks County at 610-379-2007. If you have concerns about a student residing outside of Berks County please consult the list of crisis numbers or call 911.
How is a mental health emergency defined?
A mental health emergency is formally defined as:
- Suicidal thoughts with a plan and/or intent
- Thoughts about harming another person with a plan and/or intent
- Experienced a recent traumatic event (e.g., victim of a mugging, sexual assault, recent death)
- Experiencing hallucinations (visual or auditory)
Often, a student may be experiencing acute distress and/or may feel they are in crisis even if they are not experiencing the symptoms above. We encourage any student or person concerned about a student to contact CPS or after-hours services if they feel a student is in crisis. A trained counselor or crisis worker will be able to assess the student and intervene as needed.
IMPORTANT CONTACT INFORMATION
Services on Campus
- Counseling & Psychological Services: 610-683-4072 (during operating hours)
- Health & Wellness Services: 610-683-4082
- Public Safety: 610-683-4001 (24-hours, 7 days)
24-Hour Crisis Contacts
- Holcolmb Crisis Intervention of Berks County at 610-379-2007
- Lehigh County Crisis Intervention: 610-782-3127
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK
- Crisis Text Line: text "start" to 741-741 (http://www.crisistextline.org/)
- List of Pennsylvania county-by-county crisis intervention numbers
- List of state-by-state crisis intervention numbers
Rape/Sexual Assault Resources
- Heart@KU 24-7 Kutztown University Sexual Assault Hotline
- Berks Women in Crisis: (610) 372-9540 (hotline)
- Turning Point of the Lehigh Valley: 610-437-3369
- Sexual Assault Reporting Information for Kutztown University