Student Assistance

Mission: Student Assistance works collaboratively with campus and community resources to support students in crisis or who are exhibiting concerning behaviors. Student Assistance promotes a caring environment that works to ensure that the community at large remains safe while the student involved gains the necessary resources to remove barriers that interfere with the student’s academic and personal success.


Click for contact info and links to

24/7 crisis help and non-crisis resources.

Questions can be directed to Susan Mangold at

Meet our staff

  • Susan L. Mangold, MA

Associate Dean of Students for Student Assistance
119 Stratton Administration Center
Susan leads the Student Assistance team and the PROFS program at KU. In addition to overseeing Student Assistance and PROFS operations, Susan heads up the university’s behavioral intervention team (KUBIT) and the KU Care Team that provides emergency funding for students.

  • Nadia Daher, MSW, LSW

Student Assistance Coordinator for Special Populations
109 Stratton Administration Center

Schedule an appointment with Nadia.

Nadia is KU’s Student Assistance Coordinator who works with our PROFS (Providing Resources and Opportunities for Future Standouts) program. Directing the PROFS activities and working with PROFS students are a large part of Nadia’s responsibilities; she also serves as the Undergraduate Exceptions Committee (UEC) Student Advocate. Students who petition the UEC are encouraged to meet with Nadia for help in preparing a successful petition.

  • Jessica Hainley, M.Div., M.Ed.

Residential Student Assistance Coordinator
311 Deatrick Hall

Schedule an appointment with Jess.

Jessica Hainley is the university’s Student Assistance Coordinator working with students who live on campus. Her office is located in the Deatrick residence hall. In addition to meeting with students one-on-one, Jessica provides outreach through events designed to engage and support students’ academic and emotional well-being.

  • Jessica Urenko, LMSW

Student Assistance Coordinator
119 Stratton Administration Center

Schedule an appointment with Jessica.

Jessica Urenko is KU’s Student Assistance Coordinator working with students who don’t live on campus. Jess is located in the Dean of Students office suite in the Stratton Administration Center. Although students keep Jess busy, she finds time to do presentations about Student Assistance and overall well-being tips to various classes on campus.

  • How Can Student Assistance Help?

    Student Assistance provides someone you can turn to when you have concerns or need assistance in resolving difficult issues.  Student Assistance will protect your privacy and maintain strict confidentiality, except in rare instances when your safety or the safety of others may be in jeopardy.  In addition, your issues will not be discussed with others and no action taken for you without your permission.  Finally, visiting Student Assistance will not affect your grades or your relationship with the University.  Your success as a student and individual is a primary goal of the University and the Office of the Dean of Students.

    You will meet with someone who will:

    • Listen intently and discuss conflicts, disputes, concerns and complaints that students have about the functioning of the University, including its policies and procedures, the actions of others, and potentially unfair treatment.

    • Promote the development of critical thinking and problem-solving skills by helping students to understand their rights and to act on their own behalf in resolving conflicts.

    •  Help students evaluate and select among a variety of options to address their concerns.

    • Provide a confidential setting where students feel respected.

    • Answer questions or make referrals to University officials and/or faculty to seek further information.

    • Make appropriate referrals for mediation, counseling and/or advisement and assists in creating a helping network for students.

    •  Assist students with dispute resolution skills.

    •  Provide information about informal and formal problem resolution possibilities.

    •  Provide assistance for parties finding it difficult resolve a problem.

     Your representative will not:

    • Directly participate in formal grievance processes, hearings, or judicial processes.

    • Make administrative or academic decisions for offices or departments of the university.

    • Determine the "guilt" or "innocence" of those accused of wrongdoing.

    • Give legal advice.

  • When Should I Contact Student Assistance?

    You have choices at Kutztown University regarding what resources you can use for assistance.  Keep in mind that you can always talk to your professor, department chair, academic advisor, academic dean, or a staff person in one of the Academic and Student Affairs offices.  Many valuable resources are available to you within these departments.  If those discussions fail to resolve your problem, then feel free to contact Student Assistance by scheduling a meeting, submitting a Request for Student Assistance form, by sending an email to, or by calling 610-683-1396. 

    Contact the Office of the Dean of Students:

    • If you are unsure about which rules, policies, or procedures apply to your situation.

    • If you need someone to help clarify a situation or circumstance affecting you.

    • If you feel that a particular University policy or regulation has been applied unfairly or erroneously.

    • If you require assistance with an academic matter, such as a withdrawal, grade appeal, or academic misconduct.

    • If you require assistance with a student matter, such as fees, payments and loans, residences, and housing.

    • If you feel that you have been adversely affected by the behavior of a university staff person.

    • If you require someone to help facilitate communication between you and a member of the administration, faculty/staff, or another student.

    • If you need someone to work on your behalf in order to achieve a solution to your problem.

  • What Happens When I Contact Student Assistance?

    Student Assistance provides a safe place for you to address your concerns, where your privacy is respected and strict confidentiality is maintained.  No action will be taken on your issue without your permission.

    Your Student Assistance representative will listen to you carefully and ask questions to help understand your concerns.  Supporting documentation, such as letters, emails or other relevant information will be kept in a confidential file.  Prior to your first meeting, please complete the Request for Student Assistance form.  The completed form can be emailed to  You can also bring the form with you on the day of the meeting.

    When it is necessary for Student Assistance to consult with other individuals in the university about your situation, you will be asked for consent before any action is taken.  Sometimes an anonymous inquiry is all that is needed.

    The length of time it takes to resolve your situation will vary depending on its complexity.  With an understanding of general university policies and procedures, your Student Assistance representative will suggest a reasonable resolution based on the information presented.  If all parties do not agree with the recommendation, your representative may be able to identify other options.  You will be updated periodically on the progress of your situation.  Regardless of the situation, the Office of the Dean of Students does not make a binding decision.

  • Student Assistance Resources & Forms
  • Other University Resources

    In addition to contacting the Office of the Dean of Students, students can also get in touch with other university resources that can provide them with assistance in resolving difficult issues:

    Student Conduct Advisor:  The graduate assistant for Student Conduct in the Dean of Students Office serves as the Student Conduct Advisor and can assist students navigate the student conduct process.  The Student Conduct Advisor can help educate students about the conduct process, review hearing and appeal procedures, and assist students with general hearing preparation.  Most importantly, the Student Conduct Advisor will help students feel comfortable and confident going into a hearing.  To meet with the Student Conduct Advisor, contact Student Conduct.

    Counseling & Psychological Services:  Counseling & Psychological Services provides free, confidential services for students experiencing difficult times.  CPS provides group and individual counseling in working with issues that include depression, stress/anxiety, relationships, and substance abuse concerns.  For more information, contact CPS (Beck Hall, first floor) at 610-683-4072 or visit the CPS website.

    Office of the Registrar:  The Office of the Registrar provides many services to KU students.  Students can visit the website to access online forms for requesting a transcript, change of name and address, and more.  Students will also fine explanations of KU academic policies, including the attendance policy, Dean's List information and other pertinent policies.  For more information, contact the Office of the Registrar (115 Stratton Administration Center) at 610-683-4485 or visit the Registrar's website.

    Financial Aid Services:  The program of student financial aid is based upon the philosophy that no student who is eligible for enrollment should be denied the opportunity for an education solely because of the lack of financial resources.  A basic principle of the Student Financial Aid Program is that the primary responsibility for educational costs must be assumed by the family, including the student.  The family's resources, which include the student's savings and other assets and computed expected parental contribution, are supplemented by state and federal government educational grants, private or institutional scholarships, student and parent loans, and work study programs.  For more information, contact Financial Aid Services.

    Grade Appeals Board:  The Grade Appeals Board reviews and determines decisions regarding disputes raised by students involving their grades.  Students must complete a Grade Appeal Petition form and follow the process outlined on the form.  More information can be found in the catalog's Academic Policy section.

    Academic Honesty Policy:  Kutztown University is committed to the personal and intellectual growth of its students.  The principal context in which this growth occurs is through its academics, which is dependent upon an open and honest atmosphere of positive cooperation between faculty and students.  In order to maintain this atmosphere, professors must evaluate the academic performance of students fairly and students must demonstrate their mastery of subject matter honorably.  Any acts of academic dishonesty by students, such as plagiarism on written papers or cheating on exams undermine the educational and ethical goals of the University for its students.  Such violations are of the utmost seriousness.  It is the responsibility of all students to be aware of this policy and abide by it at all times. View the policy.

  • Resources Off-Campus

    988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline - Simply calling or texting 988 or chatting will connect you to compassionate care and support for mental health-related distress.

    Pennsylvania 2-1-1 - Addresses needs that include home and food insecurities, health concerns, and more. Dial 211 or

    Concern - Provides counseling and access to psychiatric services. One West Main Street, Fleetwood, PA, 610-944-0445

    Family Guidance Center - Provides counseling and access to psychiatric services. Appointments are scheduled through the Wyomissing Office for counseling at Friend, Inc. Can request meeting at Friend, Inc. Community Services. 658D Noble Street, Kutztown, PA, 610-374-4963

    Off-campus emergencies: 911

    Lehigh County Warm Line (610)-820-8451 7 days/week, 6am - 10am & 4pm - 12am

    Lehigh County Crisis Intervention 24/7: 610-782-3127

    Northampton County Crisis 24/7: 610-252-9060

    National Hopeline Network 24/7: 1-800-SUICIDE or IMAlive

    Crisis Text Line 24/7: Text START to 741-741

    American Foundation For Suicide Prevention Support Groups

    Pennsylvania warm-line 24/7: 1-855-284-2494 or TTY (724)-631-5600


Provides students with information and resources to assist them in caring for their own mental and emotional well-being or that of a friend.  Look for BearKit on the KU Mobile App or online at

maroon background with a hand supporting a plus symbol