Application and Admissions
Application & Admission
Counselor Education & Student Affairs
The Graduate Admission Office coordinates the admission process for all applicants to graduate programs at KU. Apply Now.
For ALL Applicants
____ Completed Application Form located on the Graduate Admissions Webpage.
____ Processing Fee.
____ 2 letters of recommendation. Acceptable professional references would be from a current or former: professor, colleague/co-worker, supervisor. If you have graduated within the last three years, you must provide AT LEAST one ACADEMIC reference.
_____ Bachelor degree transcripts received (3.0 GPA)* or a Master's level transcript with a 3.0 or better.
_____ One-page typed resume of employment and education history.
_____ Academic Goal Statement: The Kutztown University Counselor Education and Student Affairs Programs are designed to develop the competencies necessary for individuals to function as professionals within their discipline. In a brief 2-3 page essay (Times New Roman 12 point font, double spaced), discuss how your personal career goals align with the program goals of your selected course of study. Your essay should answer the following:
- What experiential factors informed your interest in your chosen program of study (school counseling, clinical mental health counseling, marriage, couple and family counseling, student affairs in higher education).
- What challenges will you face in graduate school? What strategies or support system will you use to work through these challenges?
- What character traits do you possess that may serve as strengths as you learn the role of a professional and what necessary areas of growth can you identify?
- How might you successfully work with a client or student whose identity and experience differs from your own?
Conditional Admission: *If GPA is below the 3.0 requirement, the application will be considered for Conditional Admission by the Department's Admissions Committee. The Admissions Committee will determine if the other components of the student's application are strong enough for conditional acceptance. To remain in the program, Conditionally Admitted students must achieve a "B" or better in a minimum of two COU courses. Once a student completes two courses with a "B" or better, you will automatically be enrolled in the program.
- Apply by March 1 (early deadline)
- Apply by April 1 (regular deadline)
- Applications received after April 1 will be considered for review on a rolling admission basis as space permits.
- Apply by October 1
- Applications received after October 1 will be considered for review on a rolling admission basis as space permits.
Applicants who are offered admission to department programs must confirm acceptance by June 10 (for fall semester start) and December 10 (for spring semester start).
*Spring admission allows students to get a jump start on the counseling programs and possibly avoid having to enroll in winter and summer courses.
Post-Master Licensure Admissions
Applicants who hold a Master degree in a CACREP accredited Counseling program can meet the 60 credit hour Licensed Professional Counselor requirement. Applicants pursuing this option will contact the Licensing Board prior to application. The Licensing Board will review the applicant's transcript and identify the courses needed to meet the Licensure requirements. The applicant will then provide the Department with a list of courses required by the Licensing Board to meet the current licensure requirements.
Kutztown University Alumni Only - Post-Master School Certification Admissions
Applicants holding a Kutztown University counseling degree, returning only for a School Counseling Certification, can apply by completing the graduate admissions process. Transcripts will be reviewed after the application has been submitted to determine related courses. If accepted, the COU faculty will assist in course selection and enrollment.
Application Limit: Applicants to COU Programs may re-apply only once after the initial application has been denied. Regardless of the situation, the Department will not accept a third application to any of its programs.