Dr. Kenneth S. Hawkinson
Dr. Kenneth S. Hawkinson began his tenure as the 12th president of Kutztown University on July 1, 2015.
Since his arrival at KU, Hawkinson has established 53 initiatives for the institution focusing on areas such as academic excellence, enrollment management
Before coming to KU, Hawkinson was provost and academic vice president at Western Illinois University from 2012-15. Prior to assuming his position as provost, Hawkinson served Western Illinois for four years as associate provost and associate vice president for budget, planning
Hawkinson began his academic career at Western Illinois as an assistant professor of
Hawkinson earned his bachelor's degree in history from Western Illinois University. He also has a Master of Arts in speech communication from the institution and holds a doctorate in speech communication/performance studies from Southern Illinois University. He was a Fulbright Scholar from 1990-91, during which he taught American studies at the University of Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, West Africa, and conducted research in African folklore and oral tradition.
Hawkinson was in the U.S. Army for three years. After serving in the Illinois National Guard as a field artillery officer and executive officer for a field artillery battery, he was called to active duty as an infantry officer. He served in Germany as a platoon leader and a weapons platoon leader, and as a public affairs officer. He also served for two years as a volunteer in the Peace Corps in Mali, West Africa.
A native of Carpentersville, Ill., Hawkinson is married to the former Ann Marie Hayes. His son, Jivan Deglise-Favre-Hawkinson, recently completed his doctoral studies in engineering at the University of Michigan.
- Ph.D. Southern Illinois University, 1986 (Speech Communication/Performance Studies)
- M.A. Western Illinois University, 1979 (Speech Communication)
- B.A. Western Illinois University, 1978 (History)
- A.A. Elgin Community College, 1976
- President, Kutztown University, 2015-
- Provost and Academic Vice President, Western Illinois (WIU), 2012-15
- Interim Provost, WIU, 2011
- Associate Provost and Vice President for Budget, Planning and Personnel, WIU, 2007-11
- Associate Dean, College of Fine Arts and Communication, WIU, 2005-07
- Department Chair, Communication, WIU, 1997-2007
- Assistant, Associate, Full Professor, Communication, WIU, 1988-97
- Fulbright Scholar, University of Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso (West Africa), 1991
- Volunteer Professor, Peace Corps, 1986-88
- Officer, United States Army, 1979-82