The Department of History offers studies in a variety of historical fields to prepare students for the Bachelor of Arts degree, the Bachelor of Science degree in Secondary Education, and the Bachelor of Arts degree with Paralegal Studies.
The Department has designed a curriculum that prepares students for advanced study at the graduate level. Students interested in a more diverse career track may also apply what they learn to professions in law, government, museum work, and historical preservation. Business and industry commonly employ graduates with a history degree because of their advanced writing, analytic and research skills.
Our History degree with Paralegal Studies program is approved by the American Bar Association and taught exclusively with Lehigh Carbon Community College on Kutztown University's campus. The Paralegal Concentration is comprised of seven Paralegal Courses offered exclusively through our alliance with Lehigh Carbon Community College (LCCC).
Our Bachelor of Science Program in Secondary Education offers qualified graduates provisional certification from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in Social Studies Education.
The KU History Department is truly something special. Not only do they provide you with great passionate classes, but each and every one of the professors truly cares about their students. I will never forget the positivity and constant encouragement to follow my dreams.- Carly Plesic '18
History Department Vision Statement:
The Kutztown University Department of History strives to be one of the leading departments at the University and in the region.
- Providing opportunities and support for undergraduate students to excel academically in the study of history.
- Offering a well-balanced curriculum that enables students to be capable of thinking critically about the people and world around them.
- Enhancing the field of history and social studies through continued and sustained scholarly activities on the part of students and the faculty.
- Serving the region as experts in the historical profession.
HIstory Department Mission Statement:
The mission of the Kutztown University Department of History is:
- To provide the best classroom instruction and academic services in support of each program of study in the Department and the University community in its course offerings.
- To provide opportunities for research, internships, independent studies, and other activities that will enhance the educational experiences of the students.
- To promote continuous growth and development of faculty in multiple world regions of study (US, Europe, Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East).
- To provide services to the region through its engagement with Phi Alpha Theta and area museums and historic sites.
- To provide services for and engage with other departments to improve course offerings and academic programs at the University.
Our mission is directly related to the University mission. A review of the University mission statement shows that our Departmental programs and activities are consistent with that statement.