Language Placement Assessment
- Placement at the appropriate level is essential to succeed in the study of the language.
- The language placement assessment serves as a diagnostic tool to help Modern Language Studies faculty recommend the most appropriate level course for students.
- The assessment can be accessed online and takes only about 20 minutes to complete.
- Students who place into level 102 or higher, and then complete the appropriate course at KU with a grade of C or better will receive additional credits for courses in the same language at the lower levels, up to a maximum of 9 additional credits.
- Students are only eligible for additional credits if they earn a C or better on their first attempt at their first language course. Additional credits may not be earned for repeated courses or subsequent courses at a higher level.
- Credits will not appear on the student’s transcript until the semester following successful completion of the course
COMPLETE THE ASSESSMENT
- Step 1: Read the policy on this page (above)
- Step 2: Click here to complete the assessment
- Step 3: Create an account using your email address and a password
- Step 4: Don't forget to write down your password
Before beginning the assessment, students complete an online questionnaire regarding previous language experience. A student's perception of his/her abilities, a qualified advisor from the Department of Modern Language Studies will use the answers to the questionnaire as an aid in determining an appropriate placement. Students who wish to schedule an appointment with an advisor from Modern Language Studies, please call the department at 610-683-4427.