Business Idea Competition
2021 Fall Kutztown University Business Idea Competition
The Kutztown University Business Idea Competition provides students of all disciplines an opportunity to explore their creative business ideas, receive valuable feedback from accomplished business owners and win cash prizes! All finalist will present their business idea to a panel of experienced entrepreneurs on November 4, 2021.
2021 Business Idea Competition Orientation Session:
- Monday, September 20, 2021 at 2:00pm in McFarland Student Union 116
- Tuesday, September 21, 2021 at 11:00am in McFarland Student Union 116
Submit here by October 11, 2021 (see submission guidelines)
Finalists are notified via email by October 20, 2021
November 4, 2021: KU Business Idea Competition, 5:00 p.m.
(Finalists make their presentations to panel of judges)
Winners will be eligible to participate in the State System Startup Challenge (video submissions due TBD)
- Competition is open to all current KU undergraduate students
- Students may compete individually or as a team (not to exceed 4 members)
- Attend a Business Idea Competition Orientation (see competition guidelines)
- Submit a written business idea (only one submission per student or team, 2-3 typed pages see submission guidelines)
- Finalists will compete via a 3-5 minute presentation before a panel of judges, followed by 3 minutes of Q&A.
- Professional attire required for all finalists
All finalists will be encouraged to participate in the State System Startup Challenge.
- Submit a written description of your idea for a business or a non-profit organization in the form of a 2-3 page paper in Times New Roman font (12 pt) double spaced with 1" margins
- Include a cover page with the name of the business and the name(s) of the student(s)
- Save your Word document with your first and last name and your student ID number
- Each submission must reflect a new business idea
- Each submission should contain the following:
- Name of Business
- What is the real-world goal of your business?
- Who will be your target market?
- Describe your business (on-line, service based, manufacturing, non-profit organization, etc.)... Explain.
- Describe how you will promote and market the product or service.
- How will the business be financed?
- What will be the structure of your organization? (Sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation or non-profit)
- Competition Resources
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE 2020 Winners
1st Place Winner - Based in Nairobi, Kenya, Beauty Square will offer skincare and cosmetic services such as consultations, facials and body treatments as well as skincare and cosmetic products. Beauty Square aims to serve the Kenya and East Africa markets largely ignored by the major skincare and cosmetic brands.
2nd Place Winner - College Cram is an app that is designed to help college students succeed in their academics. The interactive app engages students in playing games to learn course material.
3rd Place Winner - Knees Up Events provides a one-stop-shop for planning a wedding. Couples can efficiently and simply plan their wedding, enabling them to realize a stress-free planning experience and fully enjoy a memorable wedding day.
The 2020 Business Idea Competition Judges
Jack Gottlieb, Eileen Kowalski, Tracie Springer, John Stetler