Business Idea Competition
2020 Fall Kutztown University Business Idea Competition
Kutztown University's Entrepreneurial Leadership Center (ELC) is seeking students of all disciplines of study who have a business idea. The Business Idea Competition provides students with an opportunity to explore their creative business ideas, receive valuable feedback from accomplished business owners and win cash prizes! All finalists will present their business idea to a panel of experienced entrepreneurs November 5, 2020. The presentations are open to the KU community and the general public.
Attend one 2020 Business Idea Competition Information Session:
October 14, 2020 Submissions due via website
October 20, 2020: Finalists are notified via email
November 5, 2020: KU Business Idea Competition, 5:00 p.m., Zoom
(Finalists make their presentations to panel of judges)
Winners will be eligible to participate in the State System Startup Challenge (video submissions due November 20, 2020)
- Competition is open to all current KU undergraduate students
- Students may compete individually or as a team (not to exceed 4 members)
- Attend a Business Idea Competition Orientation (see competition guideline above)
- Submit a written business idea (only one submission per student or team)
- Finalists will compete via a 3-5 minute Zoom virtual presentation before a panel of judges, followed by 3 minutes of Q&A.
- Professional attire required for all finalists
All finalists will be encouraged to participate in the State System Startup Challenge.
- Submit a written description of your idea for a business or a non-profit organization in the form of a 2-3 page paper in Times New Roman font (12 pt) double spaced with 1" margins
- Include a cover page with the name of the business and the name(s) of the student(s)
- Save your Word document with your first and last name and your student ID number
- Each submission must reflect a new business idea
- Each submission should contain the following:
- Name of Business
- What is the real-world goal your business will address?
- Who will be your target market?
- Describe your business (on-line, service based, manufacturing, non-profit organization, etc.)
- Describe how you will promote and market the product or service.
- How will the business be financed?
- What will be the structure of your organization? (Sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation or non-profit)
- Competition Resources
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE 2019 TOP THREE FINALISTS
Assistant Dean Brookins & Shayla Scallorn
1st Place Winners - Anthology Marketing Studio is a digital agency for artists who want to make a living creating. The goal is to simplify the marketing process for clients in fields such as fine art, photography, and design. Tailored services include website copywriting, content planning, brand development, and sales funnel strategy. These services help artists see themselves as business owners, not just creators, ultimately bringing them flexibility and financial security.
(L to R) Corey Manship, Brandon Edelman, Taylor Lentz, Joel Kuneck, Assistant Dean Brookins
2nd Place Winners - Mail Alert is an online service that provides mail tracking for large university buildings, dorms, and apartments. Mail Alert offers the ability for a building employee to track incoming packages and alert the intended recipient that the package has arrived and provides an all access experience to the customer which includes server hosting, updates, and quick bug fixes.
Dorian O'Connell & Assistant Dean Brookins
3rd Place Winner - Divine Desserts CSA creates top quality, local, seasonal desserts in collaboration with local farmers offering Community Supported Agriculture shares. In addition we will offer extensive at-farm demos, seasonal events and samplings as well as educational outreach: teaching baking classes, attending farmer’s markets, and community involvement.
The 2019 Business Idea Competition Judges
(L to R) Carly Simon, Kim Davis, Pam Gockley, Lori B. Donofrio-Galley
Congratulations to our 2019 winners!
2019 Business Idea Competition
The Business Idea Competition Judges in action!
2019 Business Idea Competition