Dr. Andrew Miness
ABOUT DR. ANDREW MINESS
Dr. Andrew Miness is an Assistant Professor of Secondary Education at Kutztown University of Pennsylvania. He holds a Ph.D. in Education Policy and is an expert in the field of civics education. An advocate of powerful social studies teaching, Dr. Miness champions active, challenging, integrative, meaningful and value-based learning experiences. Active in both the National Council for the Social Studies and College and University Faculty Assembly, Dr. Miness has presented on education policy and social justice issues in the classroom at both the national and international levels. His publications focus on student engagement and the importance of teacher agency in the classroom.
Ph.D. (Educational Policy with a concentration in Teaching and Learning) Michigan State University
BA, Psychology (major), History (minor) Bowdoin College, Brunswick ME
- Miness, A. & Walsh Coates, P. (in progress). in Hamlet, H. 2nd edition (2021). School Counseling Practicum and Internship: 30 Essential Lessons. Cognella Publications, CA.
- Cooper, K.S. Miness, A., Kintz, T. (2018). Teachers’ Cognitive Flexibility on Engagement and their Ability to Engage Students: A Theoretical and Empirical Exploration. Teachers College Record, 120.
- Cooper, K.S., Wright, J., Gil, E., Miness, A., Ginanto, D. (2017). Examining Latina/o Students’ Experiences of Injustice: LatCrit Insights from a Texas High School. Journal of Latinos and Education, 1-18.
- Cooper, K. S., Kintz, T., & Miness, A. (2016). Reflectiveness, Adaptivity, and Support: How Teacher Agency Promotes Student Engagement. American Journal Of Education, 1, 109-136.
COURSES REGULARLY TAUGHT:
- EDD 791/2/3 - Leader Scholar Communities I
- EDU 500 - Methods of Research
- EDU 592 - Intensive Clinical Experience
- SEU 390 - Clinical Experience and Practicum: Secondary I
- SEU 391 - Clinical Experience and Practicum: Secondary II
- SEU 312WICD - Principles of Learning
- SEU 313 - Principles of Learning Clinical Lab
- SEU 426 - Social Studies Methods for Middle and High School
- SEU 380 - Independent Study in Secondary Education
- SEU 325WI - Methods of Teaching Secondary School Subject: Social Studies