Guide for First-Time Students

Below, please find information that is helpful to all first-time students, freshmen, transfers and graduate students. We understand that, during orientation programs, there is a lot of information and it can be overwhelming. Please feel free to view the items below and email us with any questions. We are here to help you be a successful Golden Bear! For student-specific guidance, please remember we need students to complete a FERPA Authorization to Access Student Records each academic year.

NOTE: The University will be changing to a NEW student information system as well as a NEW payment provider for that new system.  Information provided below remains helpful, but pictures of the system and the navigation will change.  Please be patient as we update materials once the system is live in June 2024 for finances.

Keys to Success for ALL New Students to KU
  1. KU email must be checked regularly and is where we will communicate with you about billing and other matters.
  2. ONLINE only - Billig is online only, we do not mail bills. We do mail Collection Letters, as do our agencies.
  3. KU Tasks / To-Do's - Check your KU Tasks tile on MyKU and respond to any requests with urgency.
  4. Select Refund Preference - All students MUST select a refund preference with BankMobile Disbursements, a technology solution, powered by BMTX, Inc.
  5. Meet the Due Dates assigned - we may drop classes if not paid on time.
  6. TELL US! - Change your mind about coming to KU - please TELL US!
Incoming First-Year Students
Incoming Transfer Students
  • Financial Guidance & Explanations - Fall 2023 version - this will go further into items that our transfer students need to know and explain terminologies often used. 
    • Remember every school is different!
  • Additional Funding Options can be reviewed online or printed here
  • Payment Plan & Additional Loan estimating tool - use this form with estimated tuition amounts to calculate what you may need for loans or payment plans
Incoming Graduate Students
  • Financial Guidance & Takeaways - this will review what a Graduate student needs to know, along with the Graduate Orientation program. While many things are similar to your undergraduate career, quite a few are different.

New Student Programs Website for more information

Reminders & Helpful hints

High School Transcript Requirement for Federal Aid:

Federal regulations won't allow for aid to show as authorized/pending aid if you have not submitted your Final High School Transcript to KU. Please ensure this has been requested with a sense of urgency to be sent to the KU Admissions Office. If you are a transfer student with an associate's degree, the final HS transcript may not be needed.

Stafford Loan Requirements:

In order to have Stafford Loans be used towards your bill (as pending aid), the Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling must be completed for all incoming freshmen and transfer students who never used Stafford Loans before. 

Transfer students who used Stafford loans previously will still need to complete the Direct Loan Entrance Counseling for Kutztown University.

Complete these at using the student's FSA ID and Password.

Awarded Aid vs Pending Aid vs Disbursed Aid

Awarded aid is aid you might receive based on the application called the FAFSA. This doesn't count towards the bill at all since there are requirements to move it to Pending status. Pending aid means that we are showing a courtesy credit for the aid and it is likely to come in. You don't have to pay us for this amount, we will wait for the funds to arrive later (the end of the 3rd week of the semester). Disbursed aid means that we have verified your enrollment, you are attending classes, you have done all the requirements, and that the aid has come in and posted and is reducing the balance on the account. Watch the above video for more details!

Billing / Statements

  • Fall Bills are prepared about mid-July with a due date of early August (8/2/24).
  • Spring Bills are prepared around Thanksgiving with a due date of early January (1/3/25).

Bills are located online only: MyKU > KU Financial Account tile > Payment Dashboard > Statements

Are you interested in seeing more information about billing?

This page will show some general information with links to additional pages with more details regarding payment plans and more, so that you can feel comfortable when billing season rolls around.