Admitted International Students - What's Next?

Now that you have been accepted to Kutztown University, you can follow the next steps to become a Golden Bear.

President's International Student Welcome

Kutztown University President, Dr. Kenneth Hawkinson, provides a welcome statement for international students.

ADMITTED International STUDENTS - Next Steps list 

Follow the steps below to stay on track!

  • STEP 1: Pay the Deposit (Undergraduate) OR Confirm Your Enrollment (Graduate)

    Pay your non-refundable $300 Advanced Registration Deposit (ARD) as soon as possible to confirm your enrollment. You can pay the ARD online using the following options:

    1. Pay with U.S. dollars using a credit card through your applicant portal. Refer to the instructions in your acceptance letter.
    2. Pay with the currency of your home country using Flywire.

    Questions about paying the ARD should be directed to the Office of Student Accounts at +1 610-683-4133 or

  • STEP 2: Complete the Steps Required for Immigration
    1. Submit documents for Kutztown to issue a Form I-20 or Form DS-2019
    2. Pay your Deposit and Receive the Form I-20 or Form DS-2019
    3. Pay the SEVIS Fee or Request A SEVIS Record Transfer
    4. Schedule a Visa Appointment and Prepare fo the Visa Interview. 

    Detailed instructions and information are posted on our Immigration Requirements webpage. If you have additional questions, email

  • STEP 3: Login to your Student Portal and Check your KU Email

    All admitted students are assigned a student portal. Instructions on how to log in are sent via email. Be sure to check this portal regularly for updates on your next steps!

    Your KU student email account will be created 24 hours after KU receives your Advanced Registration Deposit (undergraduate) or confirm your enrollment (graduate). It is the only email that the campus offices will use to communicate with you about housing, billing, and other important information. Access your student email account by clicking the gold/yellow K YOU button and then clicking the Email icon. Your login will be the user ID and password you received by email. 

    If you have any difficulty signing into your email account, contact Information Technology at +1 610-683-1511 or

  • STEP 4: (Housing) Complete Housing Process

    All first-time undergraduate students are required to live in the residence halls for the first two years of study or until they earn 60 credits. Incoming international students with fewer than 30 credits will live in a traditional residence hall. Students with more than 30 credits may live in the suites or apartments on campus.

    Newly admitted transfer undergraduate students can be released from the residency requirement if they have 48+ earned transfer credits, they have completed 4 full semesters at any other post-secondary institution, or if they have obtained an Associate Degree. On Campus Housing exceptions are available on the Housing website.

    Graduate students may choose to live on or off campus.

    Exchange students may choose to live on or off campus.

    Housing Application / Room Selection Process

    1. Complete Advanced Registration Deposit.
    2. Complete My College Roomie profile. (Opens April 1 for the fall term).
    3. Complete Special Interest Housing application (Optional). 
    4. Roommate matching with roommate pair in My College Roomie software. 
    5. Room selection with matched roommate pair in your MyKUHousing account. 

    Important Information:

    On-campus housing contracts are for one academic year (Fall and Spring terms). Only Exchange students are permitted to have single semester housing contract. Students admitted for a Spring term will have a single semester housing contract.

    Check your KU email account for instructions about how to complete the My College Roomie Profile, which will be used to help match you with a roommate prior to your arrival to campus. Housing assignments will be made before the start of the semester.

    Questions about housing and residence life should be directed to the Housing, Residence Life and Dining Services Office: +1 610-683-4027,

  • STEP 5: (Academics) Take Placement Tests or Submit Final Test Scores (Undergraduate Only)

    Taking the Aleks Math Placement Assessment is mandatory for all new students. This will
    guarantee proper placement in a math course if your major requires it. Visit Aleks Math Placement Assessment.

    Taking the CAPE Language Placement Assessment is optional. Before enrolling in a French, German or Spanish course, unless you have no prior experience in the language, you should complete this diagnostic tool to evaluate your language skill level. This assessment will indicate the recommended level of the language you choose to study. If you place into and take a course at a level beyond 101 and pass with a C or better, you will get free credits (up to 9) for the previous levels. The placement diagnostic typically takes less than 20 minutes depending on your level of fluency. Visit Language Placement Assessment

    Submiting Advanced Placement, IB, CLEP, A Level scores is optional. If you have taken these exams you may be eligible to receipt transfer credit. Submit your scores to Timely submission will assure you are placed in the appropriate classes.

  • STEP 6: (Academics) Find Your Academic Advisor and Class Registration

    First Time Undergraduate Students

    An academic schedule will be created for you prior to the start of the semester.  An Academic Advisor will be assigned by the first week of classes. You will receive a copy of your schedule at Orientation and then it can be viewed through MyKU.

    Transfer Undergraduate Students

    An academic schedule will be created for you prior to the start of the semester based on the academic transcripts and the course-by-course evaluation you provided. It may take some time for all of your transfer credit to be processed. You will receive a copy of your schedule at Orientation and then it can be viewed through MyKU. If you think there is an error in your course schedule based on courses you have previously taken, you can reach out to The Center for Academic Success and Academic Excellence at An Academic Advisor will be assigned by the first week of classes. 

    Exchange Students

    You should provide a list of preferred classes and advising notes from your home unviersity advisor (what is required, what is optional, etc.). An academic schedule will be created for you prior to the start of the semester. You will not have an official Kutztown Academic Advisor as you are non-degree students. The Office of International Education and Global Engagement, will act as a program advisor and will support you with the academic departments as-needed. You will receive a copy of your schedule at Orientation and then it can be viewed through MyKU.

    Graduate Students

    Shortly after accepting your offer of admission, you will receive an email with your advisor’s name and contact information. This information can also be found on MyKU at the start of your first semester. Please contact your advisor to discuss your curriculum prior to registering for classes.

    Once you communicate with your advisor, registration for classes is completed through MyKU. Your network ID and password will allow you to enter the site. Please keep in mind that login information is case sensitive. Once in MyKU, make sure you are on the "KU Student Homepage" and select the enrollment tile.

  • STEP 7: (Health and Wellness) Submit Required Health Forms

    You will need to provide completed health forms and proof of certain immunizations and health tests prior to your arrival at KU. Watch for an email with information about completing the Health and Wellness Center's requirements. These requirements should be completed and submitted for approval at least two weeks prior to your arrival.

    To complete your forms:

    1. Visit MyHealth Link
    2. Log in using your KU user name, password, and date of birth (your user name is the first part of the KU email address. For example, for the email address, the user name is (TSmith123)
    3. Click on FORMS on the left side of the page

     Forms to be completed include:

    • Consent for Treatment
    • Health History
    • Immunizations
      • Tdap vaccine (Tetanus, Diptheria, and Pertussis) taken within the last 10 years.
      • 2 x MMR vaccines (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella). Proof of immunity by blood test for MMR is acceptable.
      • Students who are missing any of the required vaccines will have to obtain them at their own expense through Clinical Services on campus. 
    • Health Insurance (See Step #8 for insurance options)
    • Notice of Privacy Practices (FERPA)
    • Options for Meningitis Compliance Form
      • Students who will be living on campus must complete the online Options for Meningitis Compliance form prior to move-in day. This will require entering the date of the second meningitis ACWY vaccine dose or by selecting the waiver option.
    • TB (Tuberculosis) Screening Questionnaire (Your Health Care Provider should complete this form, if applicable.)

        Submit copies of the screening questionnaire and immunization records to, while the rest of the forms must be completed online. 

        For questions about the health forms, please contact Health and Wellness Services at +1 610-683-4082, Option 2, or email

      • STEP 8: (Health and Wellness) Purchase and Submit Proof of Health Insurance

        All international students at Kutztown University are required to carry adequate health insurance during all periods of time the student is authorized to be in the U.S. by an immigration document issued by the University. Healthcare is expensive in the U.S., and international students are responsible for any costs associated with their physical or mental health. Note that most health insurance plans in the U.S. do not cover all medical benefits like prescriptions, dental, and vision. 

        Health insurance policies must be purchased through a company that sells insurance in the U.S.. The minimum insurance requirements set forth by the Department of State are as follows:

        • Medical Benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
        • Repatriation of Remains in the amount of $25,000
        • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
        • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness

        Important Insurance Terms:

        • Deductible: The amount you pay for covered health care services before your insurance plan starts to pay.
        • Copay: A copayment or copay is a fixed amount for a covered service, paid by a patient to the provider of service before receiving the service.
        • In-Network vs Out-of-Network: A provider network is a list of the doctors, health care providers, and hospitals that an insurance plan contracts with to provide medical care to its members. These providers are called “network providers” or “in-network providers.” A provider that isn't contracted with the plan is called an “out-of-network provider.”

        International Student Health Insurance Plans

        Compare the plans from the providers below, to select the best one that fits your needs:

        Athletic Coverage

        International student athletes and students participating in intramural, elite, or club sports must have an insurance policy that covers athletics. Athletic coverage is not included in all insurance plans and not all sports are covered under all plans, so be sure to choose a plan with the appropriate level of coverage for your particular sport.  NCAA athletes should check with the athletics department to be sure they have sufficient coverage.

      • STEP 9: (Pre-Arrival) Register for the Orientation Program(s)

        Undergraduate (degree-seeking) international students, are required to complete two orientation programs, and online Freshman or Transfer Orientation Program and the in-person International Orientation Program. Those in the Honors Program will also be required to attend an in-person Honors Program Orientation. 

        Graduate (degree-seeking) international students are required to complete the in-person International Orientation Program. Those with graduate assistantship positions will also be required to attend an in-person Graduate Assistantship Orienation. 

        Exchange international students are required to complete the in-person International Orientation Program.

        Review the International Orientation webpage to register for the appropriate orientation programs and for detailed information on the following:

        • Suggested arrival dates
        • Freshman Orientation Program (virtual session dates)
        • Transfer Orientation Program (virtual session dates)
        • International Orientation Program (in-person session dates)
        • STEP 10: (Pre-Arrival) Confirm Your Travel and Arrival Plans

          As soon as you receive your visa and confirm your travel plans, complete the International Student Arrival Form. The International Orientation webpage has detailed information on the following:

          • Suggested arrival dates
          • How do arrive to Kutztow University
          • Airport shuttle dates
          • Private transportation, public transportation
          • Nearby hotels for very early arrival and/or if family travels with you. 
        • STEP 11: (Pre-Arrival) Pay Your Kutztown University Bill

          Questions about paying your bill should be directed to the Office of Student Accounts at +1 610-683-4133 or

          Fall Term Spring Term
          • Invoices typically sent via email in mid-July. 
          • Payments are due around August 1 (unless you sign up for a payment plan)
          • Invoices typically sent via email in mid-December
          • Payments are due around January 1 (unless you sign up for a payment plan)


            • You will receive an invoice after you receive a course schedule.
            • You can pay your KU bill using the currency of your home country through Flywire
            • You can view your invoice and pay by credit card or an electronic check from a U.S. bank in your MyKU student portal. 
            • You can pay by cash or U.S. bank check in person at the Office of Student Accounts. 
            • You can review information about and sign up for a payment plan on the Office of Student Accounts website
            • Late payments incur fines, students may be dropped from their classes, and/or holds will be placed on their accounts. 
          • STEP 12: (Pre-Arrival) Submit Final High School or University Transcripts

            Students who were still enrolled and taking classes when they applied to Kutztown University need to work with their school to provide their final secondary school or university transcripts.  Final transcripts should include the date of completion/graduationand grades from the last term you took classes. 

            Digital Copy:

            • Transcripts from international schools can be provided to Kutztown University directly to by officials associated with the institution originating the transcripts.  
            • Transcripts from domestic U.S. institutions can be sent to Kutztown via Parchment – regardless of degree.
            • Transcripts provided directly to Kutztown from a NACES or AICE evaluation company are considered official. 

            Physical Copy: Students can bring a physical copy of their final transcripts with them to International Orientation. Only physical copies that are in a sealed envelopes with the seal unbroken, are considered official. 

          • (Arrival) What to Bring to Campus

            Review items you should bring to campus or plan to purchase when you arrive:

            Travel Documents: 

            • Passport and Visa
            • Form I-20 or DS-2019
            • SEVIS I-901 Fee Confirmation of Payment
            • Financial Documents (including any bank statements or scholarship letters)
            • KU Acceptance Letter

            Academic Records: Students can bring a physical copy of their final high school or university transcripts with them to International Orientation. Only physical copies that are in a sealed envelopes with the seal unbroken, are considered official.

            Official Health Records: Official documentation of health history, immunizations/vaccines, proof of health insurance. 

            Medical and Personal Items: Review these medication tips from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. (Read more here about medication allowances) Bring your glasses, and/or contact lenses. Medication you would take to relieve pain or a minor cold or illness is over-the-counter in the U.S., meaning you do not need a prescription. You can find these common medications in Pharmacies and some grocery stores.

            Laptop: If you have your own laptop, you can bring it and use it on campus. There is wired internet access in the residence hall rooms and wireless access in the lounges and campus buildings. You are not required to bring your own computer; there are many computer labs with printers on campus for you to use and some are available 24 hours a day. Students can also tmporarily check out laptops from the campus Library.

            Outlet and Plug Converters: Purchase an electrical outlet and plug converter for the U.S. from your home country to use with any electric device you bring. The U.S. operates on 120 V and has type A and type B electrical plugs.

            Credit Card and U.S. Currency: Plan to have multiple ways to access your money. Bring a credit card in case you have to quickly pay any fees at the Port of Entry or encounter other unexpected expenses. We also recommend that you travel with at least $100 of U.S. currency to use in places where credit cards are not accepted. Upon arrival, you can open a U.S. bank account to make local banking more easy and save money on credit card transaction fees. 

            International Driver’s License: If you plan to drive a car while in the U.S., you could get an international driver’s license in your home country prior to travelling to KU. International driver’s licenses are valid for one year. You may apply for a Pennsylvania State Driver’s License after you arrive if you will study at KU for at least one year.

            On-Campus Housing Items: You may travel a great distance to get to KU and the U.S. and you might not want to travel with everything. KU residence halls have a bed, desk, chair, and closet for every student. You must bring or purchase school supplies and any other items you want for your residence hall room. Visit the Housing & Residence Life Office website to find additional information on what to bring to campus, as well as a list of prohibited items. You may need to purchase the following items after arrival:

            • Bedding (Sheets/linens) for an extra-long twin bed (Twin XL) - This is a unique bed size for universities.
            • Pillow
            • Blanket
            • Clothes hangers
            • Laundry basket
            • Towels and washcloths
            • Toiletries
            • Shower shoes/sandals
            • Desk lamp
            • Room decorations
            • *Apartments have kitches that will require additional kitchen utensils and items. 

          We look forward to meeting you! Contact our office at if you have any questions about the steps you must take before you arrive.