Special Parking Requests
Students may be eligible for upgrades or unique parking assignments if they have documented medical conditions, or have a state-issued handicap placard.
Before applying for a specialized parking assignment, students must be registered for a standard parking permit. This process must be completed online through their MyKU account prior to applying for an upgrade.
Please click the appropriate item from the dropdown list below.
Persons with state-issued handicap placards or plates may utilize handicap parking spaces on campus, provided they also display a KU parking permit.
To ensure that handicap placards are not being abused, the KU parking enforcement team will, from time to time, check the validity of placards and plates. Bearers of these items are encouraged to provide copies of the placard and state-issued placard ID card to Transportation Services by emailing the images to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Transportation Services provides students the opportunity to request temporary Special Parking when they have a documented medical need and the assignment of parking can improve their welfare. The issuance of a Special Parking Permit is an optional service that KU provides to its community members under a limited number of conditions. The applicant must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- has a short-term, qualifying mobility issue but does not qualify for a state-issued handicapped license plate or placard.
- has a short-term, qualifying mobility issue, but, due to the short length of time of their mobility issue, it would not be feasible to apply for state handicapped parking status.
- has a long-term, qualifying mobility issue, has applied for a state-issued handicapped license plate or placard, and is awaiting a response from the state.
Special Parking Permits (displayed on vehicle rearview mirror) allow for parking as follows:
- In any KU parking space designated for “Special Parking Permit Only” AND/OR
- In any parking space on campus EXCEPT:
- Handicapped parking spaces, visitor parking spaces, or any other reserved spaces.
- Any roads, lands, or grassy areas where there is not a legal parking space.
To be considered for a Special Parking Permit, a student must click this link, login with their KU credentials, and submit the form and mandatory attachments.