My Place Program Application Process
- Students must document their diagnosis of autism, autism spectrum disorder, or pervasive developmental disorder by providing a clinical psychological evaluation and their most recent IEP and Re-evaluation Report that includes all diagnostic test scores.
- Students must be admitted to Kutztown University and demonstrate readiness for college-level work and living.
Freshmen Applicants must be admitted to Kutztown University through regular admissions and demonstrate readiness for college-level work by having completed high school-level college preparatory courses in a regular education classroom setting without modifications or the support of a one-on-one or classroom aide for at least the last two years.
Transfer Applicants must have completed at least 2 full-time semesters and/or 24 credits of college-level work.
If residing on campus, applicants must demonstrate readiness for independent college living. Indicators of readiness include independently managing self-care (personal hygiene, medication schedule, sleep/wake schedule), ability to self-advocate and make daily decisions without assistance (what to wear, what to eat, how to use discretionary time), experience with sleeping away from home without family members (i.e. camps, school trips, etc.), ability to identify and implement strategies for self-calming and managing emotions.
- Students must complete the My Place application and participate in the interview process to determine if the My Place program is a good fit for their individual needs.
My Place Application Process
Applications for the My Place Program can be submitted upon acceptance to Kutztown University. Applications for fall entrance into the My Place Program will be reviewed on an on-going basis, beginning in November of the prior year. Applications for spring entrance will be reviewed on a rolling basis during the fall. The Disability Services staff will make My Place application decisions based upon space and program fit. Due to limited space in the My Place Program, not all students who apply will be admitted into the program.
Please note: Acceptance to the university does not guarantee admission to the My Place program. If your decision to attend KU is dependent upon admission to the My Place Program, do not pay your Advanced Registration Deposit (ARD) until you have received written notification of your acceptance into the My Place Program from the Disability Services.
Download, complete, and submit the following forms. This information is collected to understand the scope of accommodations and support that may be required for the student to be successful in the college environment.
My Place Student Application
My Place Parent Questionnaire
Submit the following documentation:
- A clinical psychological evaluation (preferably dated within 5 years of this application) indicating a primary diagnosis of autism, autism spectrum disorder, or pervasive developmental disorder.
- A copy of your high school IEP and most recent Re-evaluation Report including all diagnostic testing, and your previous college accommodation plan, if applicable. Please include the results of any cognitive/intelligence tests, achievement tests, and assessments regarding processing speed, cognitive efficiency, visual-auditory processing, executive functioning, memory, attention, expressive-receptive language abilities, speech, and/or behavioral concerns (anxiety, depression, OCD, etc.).
- An unofficial copy of your high school transcript and any previous college(s)/universities, if applicable.
All documents should be submitted to the DSO by fax: 610-683-1520, email: DSO@kutztown.edu, or U.S. Mail: DSO; PO Box 730, Stratton Admin Center, Kutztown University, Kutztown, PA 19530.
Completed applications will be reviewed by the Disability Services staff. Students who have documentation that suggests the My Place Program may be a good fit for their specific needs may be invited to interview for the program. Based upon the information gathered at the interview and the application process, some students will be accepted into the My Place Program. Formal written notification of the decision will be made by U.S. mail and/or KU email. Once the program has reached its capacity, students may be placed on a waiting list until an opening becomes available.
While we are currently accepting applications for the Fall 2022-Spring 2023 school year, students accepted to the program will be placed on a wait list until we are able to ensure that we will have enough staffing to best accommodate the needs of the program. We strongly encourage students to begin the application process before the end of the Spring 2022 semester (May 14) to ensure they are best prepared for the beginning of the Fall semester.
The fees for the My Place program are as follows:
- Residential Program (minimum 6 contact hours/week) $2500.00 per semester.
- Commuter/Continuing Program (minimum of 3 contact hours/week) $1250.00 per semester
- Transition Program (minimum of 1 contact hour/week) $450.00 per semester.