Residence Hall Accommodations

Residence Hall Accommodations

Residence Hall accommodations are provided for students with a variety of disabilities in order to provide equal access to campus housing facilities. Under the ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), it is the responsibility of the student to request accommodations and provide documentation of a disability that has a significant impact on the student's ability to access and use on-campus housing facilities. This documentation must demonstrate that this accommodation is a medical necessity in order to have equal access to housing facilities. All requests for housing accommodations must be submitted to the Disability Services Office.

Requests for housing accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis according to documented need and prevailing standards for reasonable accommodations. If there is sufficient documentation to determine medical necessity, a referral for the accommodation(s) will be sent to the Housing Office. Requests for housing accommodations should be made as soon as the Advanced Registration Deposit (ARD) has been paid to ensure accommodations are in place for the start of the semester. 

Please Note: Being approved for a  housing accommodation does not guarantee that you will be placed in your first-choice residential hall or with your preferred roommates/friends. The Disability Services Office (DSO) makes determinations regarding functional accommodations in housing to ensure equal access, and is not involved in the process of assigning a student's specific room or specific roommates/suitemates. The process of assigning specific rooms and roommates/suitemates is managed by Housing and Dining Services; questions regarding a student's specific room or specific roommates/suitemates should be directed to the Office of Housing and Dining Services at or 610-683-4027.

Process for Requesting Housing Accommodations:

  1. Students must first fill out the Accommodation Request Form online
  2. Students must have their medical provider fill out the Housing Accommodation Request Form or have them write a letter that answers all of the questions included in the form. Please Note:  All documentation must be typewritten on letterhead, dated, and signed by an evaluator who has the training and appropriate licensure to conduct evaluations and render diagnoses. The documentation must be recent and include the name, title, professional credentials, and contact information of the evaluator.
Service Animals living in Residence Halls

Students who reside on-campus and who use a service animal (i.e. trained service dog) must notify the Disability Services Office ( prior to bringing the animal into the residence hall.  Click here for more information.

Requests for Exception to the Residency Requirement Due to Disability

Kutztown University has established a policy that full-time undergraduate students with less than 60 earned credits who are not veterans, married, or living with parents or legal guardians with a zip code within a 30-mile radius of Kutztown, are required to live in a university-operated residence hall. 

All requests for exceptions to the residency requirement due to disability must be submitted to the DSO following the above process, including submission of documentation that describes functional limitations resulting from the disability or disabilities, as well as the current impact on daily living activities including living on-campus. Additionally, you need to complete and submit the Residency Exception Request Form found on MyKUHousing.

The DSO will forward justified requests to Residential Life, Housing, and Dining Services.