Specialty Housing Options
Kutztown University offers a variety of specialized housing options that are built to enhance the academic and social learning of our students outside of the classroom.
The Housing Office partners with many other offices on campus to provide students with unique living options. Some of those partnerships include:
- A partnership with the Residence Life office to accommodate Special Interest Housing and Living Learning Communities for our new students.
- A partnership with the LGBTQ+ Resource Center to provide Gender Inclusive Housing to our current and new students.
- A partnership with the Honors Program to provide Honors Community housing to our current and new students.
- A partnership with Athletics to provide housing assignments with teams for our incoming students.
- A partnership with the Disability Services Office to accommodate students with accessible, specific housing accommodations.
More information about the Special Interest Housing options provided on-campus can be found below.
Living Learning Communities and Special Interest Housing
We house various Living Learning Communities and Special Interest Groups. For questions about the assignment process for a particular community, please be sure to speak with the Residence Life, Housing, and Dining Services Office.
Instructions for Applying for an LLC\Special Interest Housing:
- Students who are interested in becoming a member of a community must indicate this on their housing application. Within the application, there is a question that asks, “What special interest room selection do you plan to participate in, if any?” The student should select their preferred community from that drop-down menu. (You may only select one community.)
- The application can be found under the Forms and Applications tab on the mykuhousing.kutztown.edu portal.
- Students will be contacted over the summer as it relates to their acceptance into the community and their housing assignment.
Gender Inclusive Housing
The Housing Office provides Gender Inclusive Housing to support students who need or request accommodations due to gender identity/expression. Kutztown University understands that single-gender housing may not be comfortable for all students. Knowing this, we have established areas and a procedure for students to arrange housing that addresses this need. Students selecting Gender Inclusive Housing will be permitted to have roommates, suitemates or apartment-mates from across the gender spectrum. Kutztown University believes that it is important, as our housing options evolve, to meet the needs of all students and to create an inclusive, welcoming environment.
Like most institutions, Kutztown University discourages students of any sexual orientation who are in a relationship from living together. The department does not question the students' motives for wanting to live in Gender Inclusive Housing. It is important that students understand relationship challenges or break-ups can pose significant housing conflicts and new accommodations cannot be guaranteed. Roommates, suitemates or apartment-mates must be mutually requested and prearranged with The Housing Office through our online roommate selection software, My College Roomie. If a roommate, suitemate or apartment mate cancels their housing or moves out of the room for any reason, the remaining roommate(s) must identify a new roommate to fill the vacancy. The Housing Office will define the time allocated to find a new roommate. This window will depend on the time of year and the waiting list for housing. Typically a resident will be allowed 48 hours, but not more than three days to identify another eligible roommate. After that time, The Housing Office reserves the right to assign an interested student to the vacancy or relocate the remaining residents to another vacancy; Gender Inclusive Housing, traditional hall, suite or apartment housing cannot be guaranteed.
Gender Inclusive Housing Options
Kutztown University provides limited locations and room options for Gender Inclusive Housing: Traditional Halls - double rooms (two students to a room) in Schuylkill Hall. Suites - University Place and Dixon Hall. Apartments - Golden Bear Village South.
Gender Inclusive Housing Selection Process for Returning Students:
Returning students who wish to participate in this process, must:
- Complete the housing application process, including housing processing fee payment.
- Indicate on their housing application that they would like to participate in Gender Inclusive Housing.
- Create a My College Roomie (MCR) Profile.
- Create a mixed-sex roommate group in My College Roomie.
- You can only participate as a group of 2,4,5 or 6. You cannot participate by yourself in this process.
The following will be available during Gender Inclusive room selection dates:
- Eight 2 person Schuylkill Hall double rooms (you need a group of 2)
- Fifteen 2 person Dixon singles suites (you need a group of 2)
- Three 4 person Dixon double suites (you need a group of 4)
- Twelve 4 person University singles (you need a group of 4)
- Three 5 person Golden Bear South apartments (you need a group of 5)
- Sixteen 4 person Golden Bear South singles apartments (you need a group of 4)
Returning Student Process Details:
This process will be completed entirely online, in students’ My College Roomie and MyKUHousing accounts.
Students need to complete the process in its entirety, by the established deadlines, to receive an on-campus housing assignment for the following academic year.
The process will be completed in four steps, all with specified deadlines, as outlined below.
- Complete Application, including a $100.00 housing processing fee.
- Complete MCR Profile.
- Create a Roommate group in MCR (2-6 students) during the matching window.
- Select a room during the assigned selection time.
Returning Students Dates of Process:
December 2022 through March 3, 2023
Step 1: Completion of housing application and housing processing fee payment*
February 1, 2023 through March 3, 2023
Step 2: Complete My College Roomie profile*
February 6, 2023 through March 15, 2023
Step 3: Create roommate/suitemate group**
March 21, 2023 through March 23, 2023
Step 4: Complete special interest housing room selection during the assigned selection time. See below for details of the selection window.
*This step MUST be completed in order to participate in room selection.
**This step MUST be completed in order to participate in the first round of group room selection
Gender Inclusive Housing Selection Process for New Students:
- First Year roommates must be mutually requested and prearranged with The Housing Office through our online roommate selection process, My College Roomie.
- Students should then reach out to our office, via firstname.lastname@example.org, to request housing in our gender-inclusive option, traditional residence hall.
- Suite and apartments will not be available for first-year students.
Honors Student Housing
The Housing office works with both the Honors Program and Residence Life to complete room assignments for students in the KU Honors Program. First-Year Honors students living on campus will be assigned to the Honors floor in Rothermel Hall-one of our newly renovated traditional residence halls. Upperclassmen have an option to reside in apartment-style living in the Honors Building. All Honors students must be referred in writing by the Honors office to the Housing & Dining Services Office for assignment consideration.
The Housing Office works with the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics to do room assignments for various athletic teams on campus. For questions about housing or the assignment process for a particular team, please be sure to speak with your coach.
Housing & Dining Services is committed to working with students and their providers to offer reasonable accommodations for students who have documented and specific accommodation needs. Students with accessibility or accommodation needs are still responsible for completing a Housing Application Process, where applicable.
Students with special housing and dining needs MUST contact the Disability Services office at (610) 683-4108 or www.kutztown.edu/DSO as soon as possible. Requests for housing accommodations should be made as soon as the Advanced Registration Deposit (ARD) has been paid.
If your accommodation is approved, the Disability Services Office will send a referral to Housing & Dining Services on your behalf. If the request cannot be honored for the upcoming semester, the student will be put on a waiting list for consideration as openings occur.